Wednesday, November 28, 2007
After I saw the photos of cup-cakes bake by a friend of mine, I start to have the craving on cup-cakes. No, it is not craving to eat cup-cakes. It is craving to bake cup-cakes! I just realised that it is very costly to have such a “hobby”. The ingredients, the tools for baking, electricity, water (for washing) etc, all in all, there is an amount of money involve! However, Selwyn is very supporting. He encourages me to develop my hobby and skills, and told me maybe one day I can consider open my own cake shop! Yes, I have a very supportive husband. But I don’t think I will go into commercial. I enjoy baking for friends and family, but if want me to bake for earning, I think my passion might banish.
Last week, I have an opportunity to try on my “new hobby” for Sue Anne’s birthday. I wasted close to one dozen of eggs, more than 2 kg of icing sugar (yes, high in sugar) and 1kg of flour just to get an “acceptable” cup cake done! The next challenge is icing decoration. Firstly, it is so hard to find a good recipe for the cream (perhaps maybe my requirement is too high). Secondly, I lack of skill in using the piping bag for the decoration. At the end, my icing is either not smooths or design looks lousy. However, I manage to come out a cup-cakes birthday cake for Sue Anne with 2 favours of cakes – chocolate mud cake and vanilla butter cake. The last challenge is to find the box to put the cakes in! I went to the cake accessories shop, but they do not sell the paper box. I found one plastic cake container in Reject Shop but my cake base did not fix into the container. At the end, I decided to go to one of the cake shop that we used to get our birthday and ask the owner to sell us the cake box. She is very kind to sell it to me even though she told me that she is not suppose to do so.
I am still “hunting” for decorating books and good icing piping tools. Hopefully I will be able to get some with a reasonable price and most important I will be able to make a nice and good cup-cake.
Last week, I have an opportunity to try on my “new hobby” for Sue Anne’s birthday. I wasted close to one dozen of eggs, more than 2 kg of icing sugar (yes, high in sugar) and 1kg of flour just to get an “acceptable” cup cake done! The next challenge is icing decoration. Firstly, it is so hard to find a good recipe for the cream (perhaps maybe my requirement is too high). Secondly, I lack of skill in using the piping bag for the decoration. At the end, my icing is either not smooths or design looks lousy. However, I manage to come out a cup-cakes birthday cake for Sue Anne with 2 favours of cakes – chocolate mud cake and vanilla butter cake. The last challenge is to find the box to put the cakes in! I went to the cake accessories shop, but they do not sell the paper box. I found one plastic cake container in Reject Shop but my cake base did not fix into the container. At the end, I decided to go to one of the cake shop that we used to get our birthday and ask the owner to sell us the cake box. She is very kind to sell it to me even though she told me that she is not suppose to do so.
I am still “hunting” for decorating books and good icing piping tools. Hopefully I will be able to get some with a reasonable price and most important I will be able to make a nice and good cup-cake.
Labels: Baking
0 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




