Saturday, September 22, 2007


Today we spent the afternoon at Sue Anne's place after massage, but we end up watching Evan Almighty from the DVD Sue Anne just got. The story focused on the life of newly elected politician - Evan and the series of divine incidents started to happen after he made a simple prayer "help me to change the world!". This story doesn't seems to have a lot of good review, but as usual, I just watched it for the sake of some laughter.


As the story continue to play, somehow, some sentences in the conversation and some part of the story line just caught my attention. God has spoken to me at least 3 things through this movie.
When Evan asked the man in white (portrayed as God in the movie) "Why choose me?", His answer is "Because I love you". This sentence just strike me. A lot of time when we went through crisis and unpleasant circumstances, we always like to ask God "Why me? Why this happen to me?!". We always thought that this is so unfair to us, why other people don't have to "suffer" like I do but I have to go through all these. If God tells us that we went through all these because He loves us, do you think we will believe? I will think it will be the greatest joke ever I heard. However, when all these things became past and I look back, this is true. God loves us that He allowed all these to happened in us because He sees the greatest plan ahead for us. Most of the time we do not understand why when we were in that situation, but if we really quiet ourselves down and look back at the end, I assure you, you will see the beauty of His hands in it. It is just like Evan in the story, he did not understand why God wants him to go through all the humiliation and losing the job just because of the "out of mind ark", but at the end of the story, we know it is to save his family, to save the people that might be killed because of the flood although it might not happen as we think (as Evan think in the story that the rain will caused the flood).

The second thing I learned is when God called us to do something for Him, He will always prepare everything ahead for us. We just have to walk by faith and trust Him. The only thing He wants us to do is obeyed. "The God" in the movie provided Evan with tools and materials - woods, even animal helpers, he just wants Evan to put his hand on it and work together with him to "change the world".Of course the real Lord of the universe is not like the God that portrayed in the movie, causing all the problem for Evan just to get His way. God gives us the choice in our live, we can choice to obey or just ignore. But if we ignore we definitely will miss out the greatest opportunity and joy to serve Him.

Finally, the story brought out the good point of how God answered prayers. When we ask for patient, He will send us a circumstances or someone to train our patient. When we ask God to help us love others, He will send "extra grace" people for us to love. How true it is. A character is developed through the circumstance we went through. We can't just have patient or love after we wake up from the bed. If we aren't in a situation that required us to have more patient say, we won't know we need it and we can are slowly developing it through the circumstances! It is a short term "suffering" we have to go through, but bring eternal value - to develop a good characters in our live!

Have you learn something from the recent movie you watch?

1 Comment:

  1. Unknown said...
    Undeniable, this is a good movie. I watched this movie when I was going thru' some dark holes in my life and one of the statement that the 'impersonated' God said...when we pray for patience and faith, He does not give us patience and faith, He gives us opportunities to exercise our patience and faith, that is thru' circumstances. But a lot of times, I failed the test...and am still learning...

Post a Comment